Monday, January 22, 2007

Mr & Mrs Mawdsley

My sister got hitched on Saturday in Worsley near Manchester. It was an intimate ceremony followed by the wedding 'breakfast' on a single dining table and a disco to round-off the evening. Rosie looked a pretty-picture in her dress and Matthew very smart in his suit. My father's speech was slick and thoroughly enjoyable. I read a poem at the end of the ceremony and I have printed it below so that I can remember it in years to come.

Love's Philosophy (Shelley)

The fountains mingle with the river
And the rivers with the ocean,
The winds mix forever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single,
All things by a law sublime
In one spirit meet and mingle -
Why not I with thine?

See the mountains kiss the stars
And the waves clasp one another,
No sister-flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother:
And the sunlight clasps the earth
And the moonbeams kiss the sea -
What is all this sweet work worth
If thou kiss not me?

No comments:

Post a Comment