Friday, May 25, 2007

Rampant Rabbits

A long time ago now I visited a craft fair in Essex. It was there I discovered that my earliest recorded ancestor was a French aristocrat named Roger Le Stringere. (He came to England in the mid-fourteenth century). I always knew I had a continental swagger.

Today I decided to Google "Roger Le Stringere" and I was disappointed to find that my search brought no results. However I have stumbled across an online genealogy forum dedicated to the Stringer family. http://genforum.genealogy.com/stringer/ . I have always thought that the Stringers were a rare breed but after looking at this website it appears we breed like rampant rabbits. There are Stringers all over the globe and a real hot-bed of Stringers in the southern states of the US. I have some crazy brothers and sisters;

1) There was a Thomas Stringer born in 1550 in Stockton, Shropshire, England

2) Clayton Stringer from Smith County, Mississippi born around 1861 and died around 1930

3) Jefferson Stringer (1811-1891) from Upshur County in Texas

4) Holdcraft Stringer from Chester County, Pennsylvania. He was killed in battle by American Indians in 1756

5) Gertrude Stringer born in the late nineteenth century in Greene County, Tennessee

6) Lamar Stringer again born in the late nineteenth century near Troy, Alabama.

7) William Tell Stringer and his family lived in Greenville, Texas in around 1900. His brother was Illie Stringer who also lived in Greenville.

8) Jesse James Stringer born Sussex England Oct 10th 1887

9) Leroy Stringer from Lowndes County, Alabama 1850

10) Bishop Isaac O. Stringer from Ontario, Canada 1866-1934. He is famously known as "The Bishop who ate his Boots". Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment