Thursday, December 21, 2006

How To Cook Light & Fluffy Rice

I have been holed-up at home this week fighting a strong dose of man-flu and it hasn't been fun. However my illness hasn't stopped me learning a skill. I cooked a chilli con carne dish last night with wonderful fluffy white rice. Here is how I managed it;

1. Measure a cup of long-grain rice. Wash the rice through in a sieve until the water is no longer cloudy.

2. Add the rice to an empty saucepan. Add a cup full and a half of water to the saucepan.

3. Bring the rice to a boil, uncovered, on a medium heat.

4. When the rice is boiling, turn the heat down to medium low. Place the lid on the saucepan, tilting it to allow steam to escape.

5. After the rice has been cooking for a few minutes check for holes or "craters". When you can see the holes or craters, put the lid on tight. Turn the heat down to low. Simmer the covered rice for another 15 minutes.

6. Fluff it up with a fork and serve hot.

Now I have discovered how to cook rice properly I am going to investigate how to cook fried rice and proper Caribbean rice dishes. Watch me go!

No comments:

Post a Comment