Thursday, July 31, 2008

I was flicking through my Pod looking for some music to play when I came across an old favourite - Howard Jones. I was a huge fan of his and have seen him live on a fair few occasions. He has always struck me as a really nice fellow who really enjoyed what he did. However, at one particular gig, he didn't.

One night I went to see him play (on my own) at the Jazz Cafe in Camden - I think it must have been in the mid-nineties and a long time after his heyday. He was sat at a piano and started playing the first few notes of "Hide & Seek" when, out of the audience, a nutter jumped onto the stage, punched Howie right in the chops and legged-it out of the venue. Everyone, including Howie, was fairly shocked by this incident. The woman who was playing percussion for him that night (fantastic rhythm and very large bongos) gave him a loving hug and Howie recomposed himself. He then played a flawless rendition of "Hide & Seek" and received a huge round of applause for his efforts. And rightly so. What a guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment